Talking Points on Gas Prices
- According to a recent study by TNS, 30 percent of travelers expect to react to rising fuel costs by staying closer to home.
- North Carolina's proximity to many surrounding states makes it an attractive destination for road trips. Furthermore its geographic location halfway between major population centers in New York and Florida makes it a smart destination for millions of travelers who opt to travel by car.
- Traditionally, when gas prices go up, visitation to North Carolina goes up. In 2008, when gas prices were equally high, visitation at North Carolina attractions was at its peak.
- North Carolina offers excellent value for travelers faced with economic challenges. Visitors can get back to nature and take in our natural scenic beauty at hundreds of free sites from mountains to coast.
- An increase in fuel costs does not necessarily make travel out of reach. It costs just $22.34 more to travel round trip from Washington, D.C. to Nags Head than it did at this time last year. For a fuel calculator visit http://fuelcostcalculator.aaa.com/.
- The US Energy Information Administration predicts that gas prices will rise slightly in June and then fall steadily in the summer months:
May 2011 - $3.90
June 2011 - $3.91
July 2011 - $3.88
August 2011 - $3.85
September 2011 -$3.81
Gas Watch NC
Current as of May 4, 2011
Did you know that it costs just $22.34 more to travel round trip from Washington, D.C. to Nags Head than it did at this time last year?
|Sample Road Trip Ideas||Round Trip Mileage||Gallons Used||Gas Cost* Difference from 2010 to 2011|
|Asheville to Raleigh||500||20.90||$20.17|
|Winston-Salem to Wilmington||472||19.68||$18.95|
|Greensboro to New Bern||386||16.04||$15.45|
|Durham to Charlotte||284||11.84||$11.40|
|Boone to Kitty Hawk||786||32.58||$31.37|
|Fayetteville to Morehead City||282||11.76||$11.32|
|Atlanta to Asheville||416||17.32||$16.68|
|Washington, DC to Manteo||557||23.2||$22.34|
|Richmond to New Bern||437||18.2||$17.53|
|Norfolk to Outer Banks||221||9.22||$8.88|
|Charleston, SC to Blowing Rock||590||24.48||$23.57|
|Columbia, SC to Raleigh||451||18.78||$18.09|
|Knoxville to Winston-Salem||516||20.8||$20.03|
*Source: AAA's Fuel Gauge Report
Estimates based on the N.C. average gas price as of May 4, 2011 on passenger vehicle getting 24mpg.
2010 N.C. average gas price $2.904
2011 N.C, average gas price $3.867