Summer is a busy time here in the mountains of WNC, especially around holidays. With more visitors, there are more activities, but sometimes it's hard to decide which event is the best fit for you. Are you and your family visiting the mountains for the long 4th of July weekend? Do you live in the area, but don't have any Independence Day plans yet? We're here to help. Here are a few things to do in the area to keep you busy this weekend...
Haywood's Historic Farmers Market Come on down to the HART Theater parking lot (off Pigeon Street in Waynesville) and start off your weekend by checking out some local goods! This farmers market has been around since 2008 and offers a variety of vendors from butchers to florists. The market opens at 8am on Saturday, July 2nd and closes at noon. And don't worry if you can't make it to this one- they're open every Wednesday and Saturday at the same time through November.
- 32nd Annual Freedom Arts & Craft Show Come out and see wonderful local crafters works of art including baskets, chainsaw bears, purses, paintings, and much more! The show will be at the Haywood County Fair Grounds and runs from 9am-4pm on both Saturday & Sunday (July 2 & 3). Admission and parking are free, so bring the whole family and have a fun day learning all about local mountain art! And who knows, you might even end up winning one of the hourly door prizes...
- Good Company, Good Food, Good Wine Looking for a way to celebrate Independence Day without the hassle of cooking for everyone? Do you and your spouse want a night away from the kids? This event might be perfect for you... Bring old friends and make new ones at this "Communal Seating" dinner featuring Chef Sandra. All-inclusive 4 course meal and wine to celebrate 4th of July- Italian Style! The dinner will be held at Grandview Lodge Bed & Breakfast on Saturday, July 2nd at 6pm. Tickets are $45 per person
- Balsam Range Concert WNC's very own award-winning bluegrass band, Balsam Range, will be performing as a part of the Lake Junaluska Independence Day Celebrations. The concert will be held at Stuart Theater on Saturday, July 2nd at 7:30pm, with tickets starting at $18 per person
- Lake Junaluska Singers Concert Head on back to Stuart Theater on Sunday, July 3rd for a concert put on by the Lake Junaluska Singers. Directed by Dr. Melodie Galloway, the Singers are a 16-voice professional ensemble, which serves as the Ambassador choir for the Southeastern Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church and of the Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center. The show starts at 7:30pm with tickets starting at $18. If you can't make it Sunday night, the Singers will also be performing the following night, on July 4th at the same time & place.
- Waynesville's Stars & Stripes Celebration Come celebrate the 4th of July in small town America, right here in WNC! The restaurants and shops will be open with live music and entertainment located throughout the district and courthouse lawn from 11am to 3pm on Monday, July 4th. The "Kids on Main" children's parade starts at the historic Haywood County Courthouse and proceeds down Main Street at 11:00 am. Parade registration begins at 10:00 am on the courthouse lawn. Then, the Haywood Community Band patriotic concert will be held on the courthouse lawn at 2:00pm. Great family fun for all ages!
- FIREWORKS! The grand finale of the weekend will be a fireworks show over Lake Junaluska on Monday, July 4th. The show will begin at 9:30pm, immediately after the Lake Junaluska Singers concert. The fireworks will be visible from pretty much anywhere around the lake, which is open to the public, but there will be reserved seating at the Lake Junaluska pool.